Thursday, December 12, 2013

Freedom of speech... while it lasts


I’ve decided to give blogging another try.

I have been posting comments on Huffington Post for a couple of years, taking idiots to task, and trying to impart a little common sense, insight, and wisdom to the world. Some people were grateful for it, some angered, and many others simply ignored me.

Generally I was not censored, although I was required to tone down my -shall we say “colorful” language - in order to have my posts published. Aside from forced politeness, their terms of use were not exactly hard to adhere to, and it provided me with a useful outlet for my innate outbursts of humor and rage.

Beginning this week, Huffington Post changed their commenting features to require a log in through facebook. That was the last straw. Mark Zuckerberg can suck my dick.

I tried half a dozen times to voice my dissatisfaction at this new development, and to rebuke Huffington Post for their disdain of their membership. Though I tried several times, editing and self-censoring my posts, they were never published on the site. In short, I was silenced.

Let’s not fool ourselves here. They are in the media business to make money, however Zuckerberg already has enough fucking money. We will be mined as advertising demographics, and surely flooded with ads to consume, consume, consume! Again, Mark Zuckerberg can suck my dick. Huffington Post decided in their infinite wisdom that linking their users to facebook was worth whatever graft they received to commercialize all of our data.

I started a facebook page several years ago at the behest of my grandmother who wanted to share her hundreds of photos from her trip to Turkey. On her request, I started a profile, and admittedly for a while there, I was hooked. Since then, I’ve seen her photos, and managed to go cold Turkey/turkey.

What started as a simple way to remain in contact with friends and family soon became a chore. Constant updating, revisions, and changes pushed me away from facebook. It has been an invaluable tool to track down long lost associates (although finding other white folks can be daunting - do you know how many John Smiths that there really are in the world? Thank god for my having ethnic friends).

I stopped using facebook over a year ago, and would only log on occasionally, usually when I received an e-mail notification from someone trying to reach me. As I don’t routinely use it, I have never felt the need to delete my profile, and will now use it (sparingly) to promote this new blog. Again, Mark Zuckerberg can suck my dick.

I am using this format - a Google platform (likely to change as well at a moments notice) - in order to freely express myself as only I can, while I still can. I will touch on topics that interest me, and maybe interest you, the reader (and hopefully participant) on topics ranging from the asinine to the imperative. And I will take all comers.

From self-absorbed, intellectually dishonest, and willfully ignorant Tea Baggers, to the myopic, whiney, “socially” democratic Occupy twits. From the fascist “conservative” right-wingers to the lethargic, “liberal” leftists. From the politically correct to the politically charged. From the “drill baby drill” crowd to the assholes at PETA. And fuck all you people with your cute kitten pictures.

Eight years ago I wrote a column briefly for an online publication. The editor was sloppy, merely cutting and pasting my text without reading, editing, or even correcting my spelling. I have become a better writer since then, and managed to learn to edit and spell without the help of a shit editor. I will eventually be re-editing some of those posts and adding them to this blog’s archive when I am damn good and ready.

I have always been an anti-establishment type, and truth be told, it’s genetic. My family has been starting shit in this country since 1735 and I’m not about to forgo that fine tradition.

So with open arms, tongue in cheek, and a boot ready for your ass, let me welcome you one and all to Incendiary Language.

2 comments:

  1. As a pejorative coined as a sexual act double entendre by people politically opposed to limited government, the term "teaba66er" is no less offensive than "fa66ot" or "ni66er" for how it is used.

    We should work to remove such language from any discussion or debate and to marginalize anyone who uses such terms. They are not productive in any way, shape or form, just as the users of the other pejoratives noted above are also marginalized.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use the term "Tea Bagger" as a descriptive term, one that factually, they have coined to describe themselves.

      If you choose not to use the term, discard it from your personal lexicon. But please, do not demand, insist, or imply that its usage by others (me) negates any arguments made against them. You can rest assured that I will excoriate the Tea Bagger phenomena regularly and routinely, just as I excoriate all things that I find moronic, such as the plight of the Occupy twits or the assholes at PETA.

      Words are simply tools used to express ideas, and sometimes tools are blunt instruments. In and of themselves they are neutral, and like any tool, they are used to accomplish a job. Context is everything.

      Thinkers such as Lenny Bruce, George Carlin, and Hunter Thompson made careers of using offensive language to express big ideas. Social commentary and change rely on ideas regardless of how the ideas are shared. The idea is what is expressed; and yours seems to be that words are offensive. Words are not offensive. Ideas are. Much like most ideas and opinions I've heard expressed by self proclaimed Tea Baggers.

      Even your own not-so-clever usage of double sixes displays the usage of language to express and idea (a chicken-shit usage of the very words that you intended express - but dare not utter for fear of offending). I dismiss your idea, but understood the context and your use of language in expressing it. I appreciate your feedback, though I’ll continue to focus on ideas, rather than politically correct verbiage; the name of this blog is Incendiary Language, right?

      Objecting to language that one finds offensive does not negate the ideas that the words are used to express. I would advise focusing more closely on the ideas and critical thinking, than on the language used to express them and thinking critically.

      Delete